The North Vosges Regional Nature Park, together with the Pfalzerwald Nature Park on the German side, forms the cross-border Biosphere Reserve Pfalz Forest - North Vosges.
The nickname was Vosegus, the Celtic god of the forest and the hunt.
Bizarre red sandstone cliffs and wildly romantic castle ruins hide in the cone-shaped mountains, overgrown with original mixed beech and spruce forests.
Nowhere in German-speaking countries is there such density of bastions as we find in the Wasgau and the northern Vosges, of which 50 are in our immediate vicinity.
In the Middle Ages this area belonged to the core area of the former kingdom, which led the lower aristocracy to establish their symbols of power here.
The red sandstone rocks were particularly suitable as a material supplier and also as an optimal location for such constructions.
For the first time PETIT ARNSBOURG was mentioned in 1335, when the brothers of Wasigenstein received the castle from the abbey of Weißenburg as a fief. At that time it served as a pure mansion
with some changes of ownership.
Around the year 1485 the graves of Zweibrücken-Bitsch got the castle. Under their reign, the Little Arnsburg is being rebuilt and expanded.
During the Thirty Years' War the castle was destroyed and never rebuilt.
From the ruins we enjoy a beautiful view of our Obersteinbach.
WASIGENSTEIN rises on two excellent rocks, separated by a hole, the eastern rock carries the old castle, also called "Great Wasigenstein", the western rock the new castle "Little Wasigenstein".
When exactly the builders started their project is historically unproven. Documents show that the Wasigenstein brothers owned the castle in 1270, who also built the "Little Wasigenstein"
extension with a place to live.
In the following centuries the property changed several times as a result of inheritance taxes and promises, WASIGENSTEIN was repeatedly besieged and severely destroyed. In the 16th century it is already uninhabitable. The Sun King's artillery accelerates its decline in 1676. At the end of the 19th century, the Wasigenstein was classified as a historical monument and came into the possession of the state.
Conserved are stairs, in the stone-clad rooms and a cistern.
WASIGENSTEIN is considered the scene of the Nevelungs song "Nibelungenlied".
The Nibelungenlied is a medium-high hero's epic from the 13th century, consisting of about 2300 stanzas, describing the downfall of the house of the Burgundians.
... she stands there as a forbidden, unapproachable magic castle.
The castle was built in the 12th century by the lords of Lützelhardt and was mentioned as "Castrum Lüzelnhart" 1250 in a description of the monastery Stürzelbronn. Disputes between the lords and the surrounding population were the reasons that in 1397 the troops of Strasbourg burned down the castle, after which it was rebuilt. The castle remained inhabited despite many conflicts.
As early as 1600 Lützelhardt is called a ruin and was completely destroyed during the Thirty Years War. At the end of the 19th century, the ruin was classified as a classic, protected monument. Today Lutzelhardt is owned by the French state.
The Schœneck is the most beautiful castle ruin in Alsace, at 380 meters altitude on the Schönecker Schloßberg in Winecker Tal. The castle was probably built in the service of the House
Hohenstaufer in the first half of the 13th century. Rudolf von Habsburg had the castle, which was feared as a robber-knight's nest, destroyed in 1280, and was converted into a fortress in the
With his strong walls he survived the Thirty Years War and served as a refuge for the surrounding population. At the end of the 17th century, the troops of the French general Montclar completely destroyed the castle. Schœneck was never rebuilt and fell into disrepair.
In 1820 the ruin and surrounding groves became the property of the industrial family Dietrich.
Since 2003, the "Association Cun Ulmer Grün" provides for the preservation of the ruin.
In 1898 the Castle Fleckenstein became a monument and in 1919 the ruin became state property. It was renovated after 1870, around 1908 and in 1958. The Fleckenstein stands on a sandstone rock at
338 meters altitude. The castle had a height of 30 meters, a length of 90 meters and a width varying between 10 and 15 meters. Castle Fleckenstein is originally built in the Romanesque style and
has the shape of a boat. The castle had a system that caught the water and brought it to the upper floors.
The ruin is currently state owned and open to visitors.
Very worthwhile for the enthusiast!
Fort de Schoenenbourg was the most bombed of the Maginot line. More than 3000 bombs and grenades struck.
From May 14, 1940, it was under heavy fire from the German artillery. Despite all the impacts the fortress had minor damage, no weapon was damaged and they withstood the fire. Until the armistice they succeeded in stopping the enemy, 6 days later they had to put down their arms on written orders. Worth a visit!
Karin & Marcel van Eekelen
30 - 32 Rue Principale
Mob. +33 675 329 085